Cancer, Metastasis, and Cancer Stem Cells
Awakening the Sleeping Giant – The White Elephant in the Room
Special Thanks To Dr. Weeks, Dr. Wicha, and Dr. Weinberg for influencing our work and helping
to bring clarity and hope to cancer treatment
What are some of the first words or phrases we hear from those coming to use with cancer or concerns about cancer? “I am afraid _____ fill in the blank, “I am so fearful because they said I have a tumor and I must have chemotherapy right now.” Fear cannot be the guide of any decision or you end up with the wrong goal.
One of our favorite quotes, shared with us by Dr. Weeks, is the following:
As Thomas Pychon said, “if you can get people to ask the wrong question, the answer does not matter”. That is the case with cancer and most diseases. With cancer and most diseases, you must treat the person, the whole person, the body ecology, if you are to have success and restore homeostasis. If your doctor says “take this drug”, you should ask “what part of my body function does it replace, improve, or fix”. The answer to this will clarify your decision process.
Cancer’s treatments current goal, albeit, misguided, is “I want my doctor to shrink the tumor until it disappears”. Caveat: If you get people to set the wrong goal, the result doesn’t matter.
Cancer in your body is a message and you don’t just kill the messenger. We know that chemo and radiation cause cancer to get worse. What is one reason, well known and documented? Cancer stem cells are the alarm bell on a tumor set off by surgery, chemo, biopsy, and radiation. Cancer treatment is not a battle or war to be won. It is a lack of homeostasis. You have to teach cancer now to behave. Cancer exists in all bodies and is not to be feared, but trained. Dealing with cancer should be considered a long run not a sprint. You are not trying to outrun it you are trying to control it.
What is the process? Working “with” cancer is a process, not a battle. Enhance the immune system. Reduce or kill cancer cells, both directly related to the tumor but also in the blood, urine and connective tissue, and re-educate (control) cancer STEM cells, so you do not get blindsided by a metastasis you are actually creating or encouraging by mismanagement of your current condition. You must keep serum amino acid proteins at adequate levels, which may not be a vegan diet, for the enzymes the body produces and the specialized enzymes we give, to work and to allow the body to use the enzymes to decrease the cancer load on the body. Remember, it is a process of retraining the body and reducing the burden; in the case of cancer, the burden is not just the cancer tumor. If protein falls below a minimal level the body will not heal or have the capacity to deal with metabolic issues like cancer. This needs to be measured and addressed. Understand this and you have a good chance of establishing a healing base. The demand for absorbable protein for someone with metabolic issues like cancer can be greatly exaggerated over those without cancer so adjustments in protein intake without overloading the kidney and liver is difficult. If you don’t do this properly the person can experience great pain or muscle wasting. Protein in does not equal protein used. It is dependent on amino acids for absorbability. The human body can synthesize all of the amino acids necessary to build proteins except for ten called the "essential amino acids". These ten must be included in the diet or supplemented to be in adequate supplies. Failure to obtain enough of even 1 of the 8 essential amino acids has serious health implications and can result in degradation of the body's proteins. Muscle and other protein structures may be dismantled to obtain the one amino acid that is needed.
Remember, it is estimated less than 5% to 10% of all who succumb to cancer do so because of the original tumor. What do we mean by that? Over 90% of the issue is the metastasis which is related to the cancer stem cells and the approach you take to control the cancer. You cannot stop the sinking boat by just bailing water, you must plug the hole. (Chemotherapy, radiation, and surgery are like bailing water with a strainer). It distracts you from the real issue and way from the real problem, the hole in the bottom of the boat (metastasis and STEM cells).
Less than 1% of a cancer tumor is stem cells. Most of the original tumor is not dangerous (aside from the steric, obstructive factors of the tumor). According to Dr. Diehn, less than 1% of cancer stem cells can give rise to colonies. How are these STEM cells stimulated? The threat or exposure to the original tumor, from surgery, biopsy, chemotherapy, or radiation seems to have the most vigorous stimulation to STEM cells. The radiation can come from cells phones, EMF, wireless signals and other daily toxic exposures (mercury fillings and root canals).
How are STEM cells they fed? The same way cancer is fed, by sugar. Does “juicing” help? It depends on the juicing. Does eating animal protein exacerbate the situation, sometimes not as much as juicing? It depends on the juicing constituents and combinations; keep the program logical relative to the need at hand. What feeds cancer = glucose. Alternative, non-toxic treatment does not have the same affect (remember an ineffective program may not address these issues either – from years of testing we have not seen the simple cottage cheese and flax seed oil reverse advanced conditions, or the molasses and baking soda, for two examples). Test and verify anything you decide to do. “Feeling good” is not the benchmark. Most of the people with whom we work who have stage 4 cancer, “feel good”. It does not mean their risk has been lowered.
ONLY THE CANCER STEM CELLS METASTASIZE
What does chemo, radiation (Semin Radiat. Oncol. 2009, Diehn, M.), and sometimes surgery or biopsy (78% of the time there will be metastasis according to Dr. Revici) do? These approaches can, and most often do, make cancer worse and more virulent. Resistant cells survive and reproduce in a system often referred to as “survival of the fittest”, but it is also the collateral damage or stimulation to the STEM cells. Cancer cells can also mutate and replicate in response to a threat. If you don’t address the cancer STEM cells the cancer will come back and it will spread. Why is there a 5 year cutoff for convention treatment benchmarks? That is approximately how long it takes cancer to return and make itself manifest by a tumor large enough to see by conventional evaluations. The CaProfile would have demonstrated years before there was an issue and allowed you to react more quickly to address the threat that remains.
Chemotherapy increases cancer STEM cell proliferation. It also increases the numbers and virulence of cancer in the body, thus leading to a higher tumor forming capacity. (Dr. Li and Huang, J Natl. Cancer Inst. 2008). This is not “new” news. The problem is, when we treat cancer cells with chemotherapy, the CANCER STEM CELLS ARE BEING STIMULATED TOO. Before treatment they are most often dormant. Sadly, these mesenchymal STEM cells, when mixed with tumor cells, the tumors are shown to grow more quickly. (Wicha, M., Prof. Oncology, UM). We also know that stopping blood flow to the tumors with drugs can also stimulate cancer stem cells, but stopping blood flow to the tumor with natural agents does not have the same effect. When Avastin was given for angiogenesis the STEM cells were negatively stimulated, but this did not happen with natural remedies carefully chosen. It is also noteworthy that a patient considering surgery is advised to establish a base of healing and inhibition of STEM cells before surgery so as to retard the stimulation and proliferation of STEM cells and corresponding metastasis.
How do you monitor it? One way is with PET scans and the other is a very accurate, simple test called the CaProfile. You need a baseline like you need a map. If you don’t monitor where you are going, you will get lost, and not know if you are getting closer or further from your goal, which is better health and less cancer presence.
According to doctors like Dr. Wicha, standard cancer treatment not only often fails (99%) to eradicate cancer, but can make it worse unless you are paying attention to the STEM cells. Dr. Wicha is not a “fringe” of alternative medicine, he is the founder of the Cancer Center at the Univ. of Michigan, and prolific researcher and pioneer into why cancers recur and spread to other parts of the body.
If you have just completed treatment by surgery, biopsy, radiation, or chemotherapy and have not been tested for how much metastasis you have, you are proceeding without a map and no lights on to a dark road full of holes and cliffs. We know that dental issues, emotional issues and continued exposure to radiation (including cell phones) can also stimulate the spreading, metastasizing factor of cancer.
TURN ON THE LIGHTS, PULL OUT THE MAP
Tumor shrinkage is the gold standard. Should it be? With this as the gold standard in the area of conventional treatment, we have not seen an improvement in the outcomes for any form of cancer; this according to Dr. Daniel Haber from Mass General Hospital. (Not considered the bastion of alternative therapy). They are also saying, “Pay attention to stem cells or you will not see any improvement”. Only 1% of the treatment centers, including alternative treatment centers, addresses, or test for metastasis exacerbated by STEM cell proliferation.
Mesenchymal STEM cells are the SOS of the body. If ANY tissue, tumor, skin, etc. is damaged, the mesenchymal STEM cells come to the site and help to repair by recruiting cells of like kind; hair for hair and tumor for tumor. How is this stopped?
Anti-inflammatory agents must be a part of the treatment regime. The treatment goal: to interrupt the IL-8 cytokine “SOS” and allow differentiation of cancer stem cells. Some fermented products are extremely effective for cell differentiation. Choose products, in the right form, to decrease cytokines (including IL-8). J. Nutr. January 2006. Some fermented products will take a stem cell and stimulate it to function like a regular cell (differentiation), allow the body to handle it more effectively thus reducing the rest to more proliferation of cancer cells (metastasis, a.k.a., PHI). There are many other supplements and juicing protocols that weaken the systemic issue of cancer growth and spreading factor, and those must be pursued and incorporated into any effective program.
Reducing the underlying issues of dental work, diet issues, EMF exposure, wireless exposure, and emotional issues all play a part in the foundation of a growing cancer presence, so reducing the exposure to this will minimize the future risks from it. If anything from your life before cancer diagnosis contributed to your cancer, then you must eliminate it or change it after diagnosis. If you have a fungus in your lawn, and treat it with a fungicide, the fungus in the lawn is still an issue. How do you fix this problem? You improve the soil? The same goes for the human body.
If someone has been exposed to chemotherapy, radiation, biopsy or surgery, the treatment program must address the issues promulgated by these treatments and reverse the cascade of events or what is often referred to as the “cancer cascade”. The issues created by these treatments is a new exposure, or toxin, the body did not have before cancer diagnosis. It is an added burden to a body with cancer and it must be addressed.
The goal for any good program is homeostasis and a lifetime of good health with cancer relegated to a low position of “authority” or presence in the body. To “rid” the human body of cancer is a foolish notion. It is always there. To understand how the cancer manifested in the first place will tell you how to address your life in the future. You take a different road and follow a different map and you will arrive at a different, healthy destination.
Do not fear cancer. It is one of life’s potential guide posts. Understand it purpose and put it in its proper place. You cannot understand something you are running from. You can address anything you need to face without fear and great expectation that what you need to know you will find. Think of it this way. If you have a pain in your knee from excessive exercise or injury, do you damage it further to help the body recover from it? The same applies to cancer.
Summary: Stem Cells and Cancer, the “real” issue
- Cancer mortality is directly related to cancer STEM cells activity (metastatic and proliferative processes) Not the size of the tumor(s). Do not be seduced by focus on “the Tumor(s)
- Chemotherapy and radiation do NOT kill cancer STEM cells;
- Chemotherapy and radiation make cancers grow faster and more virulent;
- Treatment (of people) with cancer requires adjunctive care and not just chemotherapy and radiation;
- Treatment which fails to address the toxicity of cancer STEM cells is futile and irresponsible. (Weeks, B. M.D.)
- Understand the issue before you, face the issue, pray and/or meditate about it, and you will give your body the opportunity to heal. Make the journey one of joy and expectation of healing and you will stimulate your body to do so. The body follows the mind and the heart and spirit of the person. Healing is a synergy of your physical and spiritual and emotional life.
- Special thanks to Dr. Weeks for bringing this information to all of us who are working with people who have metastatic issues. He is a blessing to all of us.
- In light of this research, please consider the following for any successful program:
- Supplements to stop STEM cells from proliferation and metastasis
- Adequate amino acid protein base to support cellular health, utilization of pancreatic, proteolytic enzymes
- Detox, including daily infrared sauna, and lipolysis of the fat cells
- Attending to dental health with careful choices of dental practitioners
- Daily exercise routine at your aerobic capacity. Goal should be minimum of 30 minutes, 5 days a week.
- Meal planning include food combinations, and types of protein considered safe for metabolic issues like cancer
- Joyful expression all day long, starting with giving thanks for the sun rise and looking for a beautiful sunset each day. Giving and receiving loving hugs all day long.
- Minimize impact from radiation, and EFM, including cell phones and electronic clocks by your bed, and notebook computers which can be one of the most impactful bad sources of EFM.
- Sleeping in a very dark room
- Keep your cell phone 10 feet from your body, especially when you sleep.
- Adequate hydration, with minerals, which you may obtain from Himalayan salt, both on your food and in your water.
- Working on GUT health, repairing if necessary, restoring it back to homeostasis. Knowing what you can about leaky GUT and its implications on overall health.
- Evaluation of your hormones, and correcting any issues WITHOUT bio-identical hormones.
- Fully expect to heal because the body you were given is perfect and can return to a healthy state but only if you expect it to.
- Give thanks for each breath, the fragrance of your favorite flower, and each smile you receive from a child. If you are joyful the child will always give you their best smile.
- One hour of sunshine, without chemical blocks on your skin, and without soaping your entire body removing all the vitamin D you were just given for free by washing it off with soap.
- Use soap sparingly, and be sure of the source and quality-if there are chemicals you cannot spell or pronounce don’t use it.
- Drink only filtered water
- Avoid plastic containers, especially water. It has probably been sitting on a truck, in the heat, leaching plastic into the water.
- Fear has no place in the healing process.
- Do not use toothpaste with chemicals, especially fluoride.
- If your dentist gives out the commercially popular toothpaste, change dentists.
- Get plenty of good fats each day, and that does not include vegetable fats from vegetable oils. If you don’t know how to choose them we can help.
- Take a nap once a day like Thomas Edison did his entire adult life.
Kelley Metabolic Center, Inc.
Dallas, TX 75218